For the original post of "semimortal79"'s "Our Dark Secrets," see: http://www.flickr.com/photos/79073990@N00/2149988995/
"Our Dark Secrets"
Oh! Wicked "semimortal79,"
Revealing your dark secrets,
Darker than those ever told,
By the Delphic oracle of old.
Tell not what next year will hold,
Never dare to be so bold.
But, into that darkness whisper,
What recently you learned,
That scattered by time and space,
This media a yet darker secret
Revealed! That you--
Goddess of the night sky,
Fair maid of Athens,
Bright flower of Paris--
Yet darker ties of blood
Must now confess.
Counting for a cousin,
One so sinister, prowling,
Springing from behind what rock,
Declaring he your distant "uncle" be!
Fair maid of Paris,
As a new year dawns,
Casting its rays
On the Acropolis above
Come salutations from one,
Who is no dove,
But hides behind
A thousand words.
Thank you for the new year greetings!!
In return my wish for you, as for all well-wishers:
May the paths before you be open,
And the wind in your back:
Where Do We Come From? What Are We? Where Are We Going? 1897-2007 (with thanks to Gauguin, and in collaboration with "druppelsgewijs / Pascale")
Giving us--courtesy of Gauguin, and with collaboration from "druppelsgewijs / Pascale"--once more something to ponder as we enter a new year!
Wishing you the very best for 2008, and please stay in touch!
Please also pass my greetings further up Olympus, to the noble, handsome, and most learned Th.....o
your distant "uncle" John Walford
The Blog of John Walford, British-born, but long resident in The United States. I am an art historian, currently studying satire in Netherlandish art, an amateur photographer, and occasional writer, who writes here about art, photography, and the human condition--some of it ekphratic poetry, responding to works of art. This is to be a site for words and images, interacting on one another, as vehicles of human expression.
Monday, December 31, 2007
My Distant "Niece," "semimortal79"'s End of Year Photograph: "Our Dark Secrets"
- ► 2012 (33)
- ► 2011 (60)
- ► 2010 (63)
- ► 2009 (66)
- ► 2008 (85)
- My Distant "Niece," "semimortal79"'s End of Year P...
- Ionushi's "Let's End It With Big Laughs!"
- Ahmad Kavousian's "Jipsy with J...", December 25, ...
- Supplication: Christmas/New Year, 2007
- The Writing on the Water.
- Christmas Day, and a Dust of Snow
- An Incredible Christmas Eve "Reunion" -involving F...
- With words, with numbers, with souls
- Lazarus at the Rich Man's Kitchen Window 2007
- Which Way At The Crossroads? 2007
- You Have To Start Somewhere!
- ▼ December (11)
- John Walford
- United States
- I am a British-born, art historian, teaching in the USA; I studied law, in England,1964-68; worked part-time in the art world, 1968-69; then studied art history at the Vrije Universiteit, Amsterdam, 1969-76; completed my Ph.D. diss. at the University of Cambridge, 1981; moved to the States in 1981, and have since written, or co-authored, other books. I am currently studying satire in Netherlandish art. My wife, Maria, was born in Milan, Italy, where she worked as an interpreter, in business; she spent seven years in Switzerland, at the University of Lausanne, 1963-70. She came to Amsterdam in 1971, and we soon married. She is a wife, mother, literary critic, of Italian (and French) literature, and completed her Ph. D. diss. in 2002, at the University of Chicago, on Cesare Pavese and His Critics. We have three married children, and eight grandchildren, all of whom we excessively adore! I welcome dialog about art, photography, human behavior, beliefs, and motivation from all comers, regardless of race, color, gender, orientation, values, or beliefs. This is to be a site for words and images, as vehicles of human expression, around topics of mutual interest.