The Blog of John Walford, British-born, but long resident in The United States. I am an art historian, currently studying satire in Netherlandish art, an amateur photographer, and occasional writer, who writes here about art, photography, and the human condition--some of it ekphratic poetry, responding to works of art. This is to be a site for words and images, interacting on one another, as vehicles of human expression.

Only Connect

Only Connect

Search This Blog

Friday, December 28, 2007

The Writing on the Water.


The Writing on the Water., originally uploaded by algo.

My Flickr "friend" , algo / Alex, living in The Chiltern hills, England, consistently, and deliberately takes photographs that provide deep "Eye de-light"--see his definition for this, on his profile page, and why he is not afraid to please the eye, though others have accused him of producing mere "eye-candy"--an accusation that I reject.

I delight in algo's work, because he gives "Voice to Creation's Praise," to borrow a phrase from my Cambridge, scholar friend, and author, Jeremy S. Begbie. So, algo's "Eye de-light" is my delight, and, without nostalgia--well, perhaps a little for me, as an expatriate (!)--he photographs a much-loved, English landscape--even if he mostly omits any hint of the ugly, encroaching suburban sprawl from his idyllic landscapes.

For algo's "The Writing on the Water," (see his original post at: http://flickr.com/photos/algo/2132862295/) as here seen, I dedicate this simple little poem:

The Writing on the Water:

Man's path--seen through man's eye--
Meandering, and indirect may seem.
Man's path--viewed from above--I spy,
Runs straight as the flight of a plane,
From take off to landing.
We all know where we took off,
But as for the touch down,
Are we as clear,
As to where
We are headed?

--John Walford, December 28, 2007.

Wishing you, amid the violent tenor of world affairs, grace, peace, and my best wishes for 2008. (Note: This was the 114th comment on algo's photograph, thus I was the 114th to take "Eye de-light" therein!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Friend connect

Followers

John Walford

John Walford
Not All That Meets The Eye

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
United States
I am a British-born, art historian, teaching in the USA; I studied law, in England,1964-68; worked part-time in the art world, 1968-69; then studied art history at the Vrije Universiteit, Amsterdam, 1969-76; completed my Ph.D. diss. at the University of Cambridge, 1981; moved to the States in 1981, and have since written, or co-authored, other books. I am currently studying satire in Netherlandish art. My wife, Maria, was born in Milan, Italy, where she worked as an interpreter, in business; she spent seven years in Switzerland, at the University of Lausanne, 1963-70. She came to Amsterdam in 1971, and we soon married. She is a wife, mother, literary critic, of Italian (and French) literature, and completed her Ph. D. diss. in 2002, at the University of Chicago, on Cesare Pavese and His Critics. We have three married children, and eight grandchildren, all of whom we excessively adore! I welcome dialog about art, photography, human behavior, beliefs, and motivation from all comers, regardless of race, color, gender, orientation, values, or beliefs. This is to be a site for words and images, as vehicles of human expression, around topics of mutual interest.

Site Tracking