"Ominous Hangs The Threat"
Fox--stealthy creature of the night,
Steals through the long grasses,
Under the shadow of threatening cloud,
Slyly giving a slipping glimpse
To Paolo's yet more stealthy camera.
Man and fox, engaged in outfoxing
Each other, both miss a greater danger,
Spies and soldiers, waiting to drop,
From one silent, stealthy, air balloon,
Before clearing sky exposes all.
--JW, for Paolo Avalle, Nov 15, 2009.
On further reflection on this image:
Actually, this image comes close to the experience of depression, through which I go from time to time, although there is more sense of "hope" here, in the light on the horizon.
However, when depressed, as in this image, where we look towards that light, there hangs there this "ominous" air balloon, the one thing we see in the light we have, and, like depression, it seems that it just won't go away - although, with time, it always does. One just has to ride it out, like waiting for this great balloon to pass.
Yes, Paolo, this is a powerful, and ominous image. Thank you for sharing it with me. I think it is one of the strongest you have made - if not, THE strongest.
The Blog of John Walford, British-born, but long resident in The United States. I am an art historian, currently studying satire in Netherlandish art, an amateur photographer, and occasional writer, who writes here about art, photography, and the human condition--some of it ekphratic poetry, responding to works of art. This is to be a site for words and images, interacting on one another, as vehicles of human expression.
Sunday, November 15, 2009
From Flickr's Lensk - Paolo Avalle, "Hertford-sky1-cat-small"
"Ominous Hangs The Threat"
- ► 2012 (33)
- ► 2011 (60)
- ► 2010 (63)
- For once, one of my own: Fungi, Feeding off the Fa...
- Pericomart of Flickr's "La mano 2 de 2 - The Hand ...
- bartvandamme of Flickr's "The Sheltering Sky" (Rij...
- bartvandamme of Flickr's "Disintegrating with Dign...
- Jungle Mama, on Flickr's "A drying Almond Leaf... ...
- paho47, on Flickr's, "The Last Flower of the Summe...
- Flickr's Rongzoni's "Dreaming into the wind"
- Flickr's Heniusia's "Held in silence ..."
- From Flickr's Lensk - Paolo Avalle, "Hertford-sky1...
- Flickr's Algo's photograph: "100-year Hand"
- Flickr's incomparable Algo, and his "Autumn Chilte...
- Flickr's jitendraapi's "Light is knowledge, light ...
- Flickr's Pericomart's "Granada 1"
- Flickr's Pericomart's Euskadi 1
- ▼ November (14)
- ► 2008 (85)
- John Walford
- United States
- I am a British-born, art historian, teaching in the USA; I studied law, in England,1964-68; worked part-time in the art world, 1968-69; then studied art history at the Vrije Universiteit, Amsterdam, 1969-76; completed my Ph.D. diss. at the University of Cambridge, 1981; moved to the States in 1981, and have since written, or co-authored, other books. I am currently studying satire in Netherlandish art. My wife, Maria, was born in Milan, Italy, where she worked as an interpreter, in business; she spent seven years in Switzerland, at the University of Lausanne, 1963-70. She came to Amsterdam in 1971, and we soon married. She is a wife, mother, literary critic, of Italian (and French) literature, and completed her Ph. D. diss. in 2002, at the University of Chicago, on Cesare Pavese and His Critics. We have three married children, and eight grandchildren, all of whom we excessively adore! I welcome dialog about art, photography, human behavior, beliefs, and motivation from all comers, regardless of race, color, gender, orientation, values, or beliefs. This is to be a site for words and images, as vehicles of human expression, around topics of mutual interest.